Monday, August 20, 2012

Guest Post: The 'B' Word

Another entry in my series of guest posts this one comes from Karen of the Baking in a Tornado blog:
I’m Karen, a struggling-to-remain-sane stay-at-home Mom of boys who found, quite by accident a few years ago, that baking not only creates sweets but also relieves stress.  Who knew? Although I do bake to relieve stress, to relieve stress, and oh yeah, to relieve stress, there are other strategies I’ve been trying as well.  Face it, there’s only so much butter, flour and sugar available.  So I started blogging at http://www.BakingInATornado.blogspot.com   It provides me with a delicious (get it?) opportunity to vent.  So sit back, have a laugh, try a recipe, then visit my blog…regularly!

The “B” word

What’s so great about a Birthday anyway?

For me, a Mom, it can start the day before with baking myself a cake.  After all, what’s a birthday without a cake?   And I know my kids would be disappointed if we didn’t have one.  So there’ll be one, and it’ll be my kids’ favorite cake, of course.  And maybe I did put a little Amaretto into my coffee while baking my cake yesterday, but I'm pleased to report that no desserts were harmed in the baking of this cake . . . or something like that. 



Let’s move on to the day of:  so I washed, dried and folded the laundry and watered the plants. I defrosted and seasoned the steaks, made the side dishes, prepped the grill and set the table.  I made pitchers of Chambord Margaritas and Shirley Temples.  Lucky for me my husband and the kids are making dinner so I don't have to do any work on my birthday.

I may have had to pick out the dinner myself, but I had an ulterior motive.  I shudder to think of what my husband would have picked, and I knew that if I chose something we all like, I’d get to eat without complaints for a change.  After all, this is not an uncommon conversation in my house:

Me: "I'm glad both of you boys work Sunday nights, Dad and I can have fish for dinner with no complaints". 
Older Son: "I can make you a recording of me complaining about dinner". 
Me: "I can make you a video of me changing the locks".


Work done and dinner prepared for, here’s the next birthday dilemma:  If your son who's a pain in the butt gives you a hand-made card that says "I'm a pain in the butt" on the front, should you open it to see what's inside or should you just leave well enough alone?  I’m still thinking . . .

And for one final birthday dilemma:  My family have been really supportive of my blog (I think my kids have actually read one or two of my posts of their own free will), so what did they get me for my birthday?  A new camera.  I love it.  What’s the dilemma?  Should I take crisp clear pictures of my baked goods for the blog and risk showing what my treats really look like?  Or should I continue to use my 20-year old lousy camera and keep blaming it on the pictures?  I’m still thinking . . .

To follow Karen on her blog, go here: http://www.bakinginatornado.blogspot.com/

-The Anon Blogger

Awesome Links:





Work done and dinner prepared for, here’s the next birthday dilemma:  If your son who's a pain in the butt gives you a hand-made card that says "I'm a pain in the butt" on the front, should you open it to see what's inside or should you just leave well enough alone?  I’m still thinking . . .

And for one final birthday dilemma:  My family have been really supportive of my blog (I think my kids have actually read one or two of my posts of their own free will), so what did they get me for my birthday?  A new camera.  I love it.  What’s the dilemma?  Should I take crisp clear pictures of my baked goods for the blog and risk showing what my treats really look like?  Or should I continue to use my 20-year old lousy camera and keep blaming it on the pictures?  I’m still thinking . . .

To follow Karen on her blog, go here: http://www.bakinginatornado.blogspot.com/

-The Anon Blogger


Awesome Links:


3 comments:

  1. Good lord I love cakes!
    And the picture is making me hungry...it kinda reminds me of the first cake I baked....I put a cute white heart in the center using melted white chocolate...*stomach rumbles* Dang it, now I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We share a love of cakes, Nikki. With 2 growing boys in the house (not to mention their friends), I can bake one and have it gone in a day!

      Delete
    2. Wow, they are lucky boys!To have a mama who can bake yummy cakes! :D

      Delete

Pingates